American Osteopathic Association

Advancing the distinctive philosophy and practice of osteopathic medicine

International Osteopathic Medicine - FAQs

​Q: Where can I learn more about American osteopathic medicine and osteopathic medical education?

A: Please visit to learn more about DO education and training.

Q: Which countries offer full medical practice to graduates of American colleges of osteopathic medicine?

A. Practice rights for U.S.-trained osteopathic physicians vary by country and sometimes by province, and can be impacted by the nature and length of employment arrangements. The AOA makes a detailed International Licensure Summary available in the members-only section of This document was last updated in July 2015, and it is currently under review. Learn more about becoming an AOA member.

Q: What support does the AOA give to U.S.-trained DOs seeking to work abroad?

A: The AOA offers general advice to physicians interested in practicing outside the U.S. In some cases, we can support individuals in their efforts to secure practice rights abroad by providing letters of introduction and documents explaining the scope of osteopathic medical education and practice. This support is a member benefit. Learn more about becoming an AOA member.

Q: What activities does the AOA conduct internationally?

A: The AOA's Bureau of International Osteopathic Medicine (BIOM) promotes the highest standards of osteopathic medical education and practice throughout the world.  BIOM’s areas of involvement are listed here. The AOA is also a charter member of the Osteopathic International Alliance, an international organization of osteopathic organizations.

Q: I want to enter into training and/or practice in Canada. Whom should I contact?

A: For information regarding training and practice in Canada, please contact Keith Courtney, DO, President, Canadian Osteopathic Association, at, or contact the College of Physicians and Surgeons of the specific province.

Q: I am a student at a college of osteopathic medicine in the United States. I wish to participate in a clinical rotation outside of the United States. Whom should I contact?

A: For information regarding clinical rotations outside of the U.S., please contact the Dean of your college of osteopathic medicine.

Q: I am obtaining an osteopathic certification or degree program outside of the United States, and wish to practice as an osteopath in the United States. How should I proceed?

A: There are no osteopathic programs located outside of the United States that qualify an individual or group to practice as osteopaths or osteopathic physicians in the United States. To become a U.S.-based osteopathic physician, you must undertake four years of study in a school of osteopathic medicine in the U.S. For information on applying, please visit the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine website.

Q: I wish to have information on the AOA standards for the accreditation of colleges of osteopathic medicine. Whom should I contact?

A: You can find information regarding accreditation standards in the Accreditation section of this website.

Q: Where can I find information on enrolling in an American college of osteopathic medicine?